Ocena teme:
  • 0 Glas(ov) - 0 Povprečje
Strelski incident izgovor za zaostritev zakonodaje?
Take je pa Regan pisal 1994 ,republikanci pa še vedno fantazirajo kako idealen je bil Regan [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

The real Reagan couldn’t/wouldn’t be nominated in today’s GOP.
A. He signed an Amenesty Law.
B. He raised taxes… MULTIPLE times.
C. He favored gun control.
D. He was from Hollywood.
E. He was the president of a Labor Union.
F. He had gay friends and co-workers.
G. He was divorced.
H. After the Marine Barracks attack, he had the military flee, rather than fight.

The Ronald Reagan of myth doesn’t quite match up the Ronald Reagan of reality. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/extra_rolling.gif[/img]

Citat:May 3, 1994
To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:
We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Citat:As the assault weapon ban vote neared, Reagan — who as president had signed 1986 legislation loosening restrictions on guns — wrote a letter with former Presidents Ford and Carter to the House of Representatives urging them to vote in favor of the ban.
“We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety,” the letter said.
“While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons,” the letter said concluding.
More substantially, though, Reagan apparently persuaded at least two Republican Members of Congress to change their vote:
Congressman Scott Klug, a Republican from Wisconsin was an opponent of the assault weapon ban and the day before the vote stated his opposition to the ban. Klug only changed his voted after “a last minute plea from President Reagan” in the form of a handwritten note.
”Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary,” Reagan wrote Klug. “I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan.”
”I can think of no one who has been a stronger supporter of law and order and a stronger supporter of the Second Amendment,” Klug said in a statement regarding Reagan’s note announcing his support for the ban.
Another former Congressman, New Hampshire Democrat Dick Swett, also credited the former President with influencing his voting. Swett was unsure of how to vote on the ban, but made up his made after direct lobbying from Reagan.
The bill ended up passing the House by two votes, 216-214.
Odgovori

Prispevkov v tej temi
Strelski incident izgovor za zaostritev zakonodaje? - od - 30-01-2013, 02:41

Uporabnikov, ki berejo to temo: 10 Gost(ov)